Note: This article is primarily designed for those who love reading and who have more time in hand. If you are urgent, looking for a piece of specific information, you can skim through sub-headings. This is a complete guide for hair loss, which covers each and every corner of the topic. But it stresses more on treatment tips.
Michael Jackson died.
But the story about his hair loss has an undeniable spot in today’s world. The hairstyle of the pop magician varied from crazy afro to short curly hair.
What was that story? Are you curious?
On 27 January 1987, Michael was performing for a Pepsi commercial. This involved pyrotechnics, which is a firework display to create amusement. For every take, the firework should only explode after he descended the stairs. It was during the sixth take, firework blasted too early and burned his hair. This created permanent bald spots which he covered with wigs. This incident also made him gradually addicted to drugs which he took as painkillers.
So, don’t play with fire if you want your hair. Lol!
Are you a normal person searching for hair loss treatment tips for you, your friend or your family members? Or are you a student searching for the causes of hair loss? You may be a blogger planning to write an article on hair loss. Let this may be an ideal reference guide for you.
Even one well-defined, complete hair fall prevention/treatment tip can open the gates to happiness in your life and save you from psychological distress.
But, here is the good news:
This guide presents you such 29 tips!
Wait, that’s only. NO.NEVER!
You can first feel the roots(causes) and then fly to the branches(tips) of the topic.
Hair loss causes: What causes your hair to fall out?
Have you ever thought about the reasons of hair thinning? Can you guess some of them.
So, let’s dive into the details.
Alopecia is the most common type of hair loss. Heredity is one of the major root causes of hair loss. The family history plays a powerful role in male pattern baldness or female pattern baldness.
Hair loss can also be caused as a result of side effect of certain drugs. The drugs used for depression, high blood pressure, arthritis etc may cause hair fall.
It has been a common myth that a stressful event like emotional shock can cause hair thinning. But remember that this type of hair loss is temporary.
Hormonal fluctuations can also cause hair loss. This is a major factor resulting in female hair loss. These hormonal changes are mainly related to pregnancy.
Thyroid issues and hairstyling products may be a reason for hair loss.
Stop right there!
Missed an important cause: The diet that contains less protein, iron and other nutrients may cause hair fall.
H A I R L O S S T I P S
Let’s find out what are the beneficial hair loss remedies.
In this section you may find answers to these two questions:
How to stop hair loss? How to grow your hair rapidly?
The cool thing is that there are so many hair loss prevention solutions. But the major question is how many of them are natural and home remedies for hair loss. Let us chase all of the hair loss treatment tips one by one:
1. Shampoo for hair loss: it is very important to wash your hair regularly with shampoo
- Choose the right shampoo: Remember, scalp type should determine the hair loss shampoo you are using. There are four major scalp types: normal, oily, dry and mixed or combination. Use non- moisturizing, strengthening shampoo which are more effective at removing excess oil for oil scalps. But for dry scalps, use hydrating shampoos for adding moisture to the scalp.
- Scalp type also determines the intensity of washing. Dry scalps should not be over washed and oily or greasy scalps should be washed three times a week.
- Avoid shampoos with chemicals such as silicone, paraben and sulfate.
2. Exercises for hair growth: practice simple hair exercises and yoga.
- Upside down exercise: Balance your body using your head on the yoga mat. This will help yo grow your hair.
- Rubbing nails: Find and locate acupressure points. These points are present under the fingernails or at the tips of your finger. These points are associated with hair growth. The act of massaging these points will do the work. You can rub fingernails together.
- Scalp massaging: This is one of the most common exercises. The blood flow to the scalp will increase if scalp is massaged. Gently massage the scalp.
Eg: Move your hands through your hair massaging the scalp from front to back and then reverse the direction.
- Jogging: Perspiration helps in removing toxins that are harmful to hair. It is the act of sweating. Jogging is one of the best practices for perspiration.
- Kapalbhati pranayama: Breathing exercises like kapalbhati pranayama helps in oxygenating the scalp which results in repairing damaged hair. It is a breathing exercise in which you pull your stomach/navel backwards with your right hand when exhaling.
3. Combing wet hair after shower: the next thing to avoid
- Wet hair is the weakest state of hair. Combing wet hair means combing weak hair.
- So, combing wet hair results in hair loss.
- Use a wide-toothed comb for wet hair (if you want to comb wet hair).
- Don’t comb hair too frequently.
4. Drink water to fight with dehydration
- Dehydration results in hair loss and brittle hair. Drinking water helps in strengthening hair.
- Drink at least two litres of water every day.
5. Use hair conditioner for better hair
- It has been a common myth that hair conditioners cause hair loss. But, realize this is partially wrong.
- You should apply hair conditioner properly. Apply hair conditioner to the ends of hair and gently spread it with fingers to every strand. Avoid applying to scalp as it may clog your hair follicles that can slow the hair growth.
- Hair conditioning is a way of repairing hair. So locate portions of hair where there is less growth and apply there.
- You should use it regularly because such use can actually remove dust and dirt from hair. It also helps to repair weak hair and promote good hair growth.
- Avoid hair conditioners with harmful chemicals like sulfates, parabens etc.
6. Feed your hair with magical green tea
- Panthenol is found in green tea which is a potent moisturizer and strengthens the hair. It also contains antioxidants which inhibits the formation of DHT. Dihydrotestosterone is a hormone that may bind to the receptors on hair follicles. This results in end of hair growth in such follicles.
- Pour the cool green tea water into your hair filling the scalp. Just spread it throughout. Leave them for some minutes (4-5) and wash the hair with cool water.
- It delivers lustre to hair and keep them handsome!
- Green tea contains Vitamin C. This helps our hair from sun damage.
7. Use the FDA approved Minoxidil (Rogaine)
- Minoxidil is a drug used primarily for male pattern baldness. It is also made available to women.
- Non-prescription sale is allowed for 5% Minoxidil (Men) & 2% Minoxidil (Women).
- Read the patient instructions carefully to get a knowledge for how to apply minoxidil.
- There are primarily two types of minoxidil medication:
Minoxidil topical solution & Minoxidil topical foam.
- Apply topical solution to the treated area of the scalp.
- For topical foam, put it on the fingers and spread it over the hair loss area. Gently massage the scalp.
8. Avoid some chemicals that are harmful for hair
- Many shampoos, hair conditioners, cosmetic products, hairstyling products etc. contain harmful chemicals listed below. Try to avoid products with such chemicals.
- Sodium lauryl sulphate- SLS degenerates cell membranes and proteins on the scalp. It also damages the protective oils the scalp produces for moisturization.
- Parabens- It mimics estrogen and causes hormonal disruption. This lead to unbalanced hormonal levels in females and leads to female pattern baldness.
- Propylene glycol- This leads to skin irritation.
- Diethanolamine- It causes skin lesions and has damaging effects on liver.
9. Keep an eye on these hairstyles
- Everyone has pure freedom to choose his/her hairstyle. Our hairstyle is a part of our lifestyle. But we should agree some lifestyles are harmful for health.
- Tractional alopecia is a type of hair loss. It is caused by repeatedly pulling the hair.
- Some hairstyles involve this action of pulling.
- Tight hairstyles like ponytail may add some flame to hair loss problem. The variations like bun, braid etc. may also contribute to hair fall.
- Hairstyle is not an important cause for hair loss. But if you also use chemicals mentioned above that are harmful for hair, it may lead to hair fall.
10. Aloe Vera is ideal for good hair
- Aloe Vera gel is rich in anti-oxidants and has excellent moisturizing benefits.
- It contains vitamins, copper, zinc and essential amino acids which provides strong hair.
- It is effective in treating dandruff and helps in reducing flaky skin on scalp. This is turn reduces our scratching on scalp and preserves hair follicles.
- Collect Aloe Vera gel from it’s cut leaf. Apply the Aloe Vera from root to the end of the hair. You can also apply it directly to the scalp as it can penetrate deep into hair follicles and repair dry and damaged hair.
11. Try coconut milk
- Coconut milk is an effective hair mask. Hair mask is a treatment that helps to cure your damaged hair. It is a deep-conditioning treatment.
- You need a wide-toothed comb for this. Apply it from root to end of the hair. Evenly spread it all over your hair. Cover every portion like top of the head, back of the head etc. Leave it for setting and wash your hair with cold water.
- You can also mix coconut milk with essential hair-promoting oils like almond oil, olive oil to make mask more efficient.
12. Camphor oil is a secret weapon
- Camphor oil is a great player in strengthening roots.
- It is very important to note this: when camphor is added with essential oils like lavender etc., an increase in hair growth is the result. It can also make hair very soft.
- Initially take some essential oil like lavender, olive oil etc. Add two pieces of camphor into it and make a mixture. Apply this to the hair from roots to ends and evenly spread throughout.
13. Apply yoghurt to make your life taste better
- Protein helps in fighting hair loss. Yoghurt is a natural source of protein. It gives hair proper growth.
- It can also be used as a hair mask. It is mixed with hair growth promoting substances to make a great hair mask.
- For example, make a paste using eggs (hair growth promoting) and yoghurt. Break two eggs and mix it thoroughly. Add some teaspoons (2-3) of yoghurt to make a good paste. Apply this like coconut milk mask as given in tip 11.
14. Honey is the sweetest path to hair growth
- Some substances are capable of locking moisture to the ends of your hair. Such moisture sealing substances are called emollients.
- Honey is an emollient. It helps in better moisturizing of your hair which can prevent hair loss.
- Now you want to just make an hair mask using honey and apple cider vinegar. Apply it mainly to the ends of your hair. Leave it for setting and wash your hair with cold water.
15.Tulsi leaves for hair growth
- Tulsi has three primary benefits: improves blood circulation, anti-dandruff properties and cooling effect.
- Tulsi oil may be used to massage your hair. It can be used as a hair oil. It also reduces itchiness.
- You can also mix it with other essential substances like hibiscus etc. to promote hair growth.
16. Amla has multitude of benefits for your hair
- Amla provides nourishment to your hair follicles. It is also great for repairing your hair such as curing hair breakage and split-ends (ends of your hair become brittle).
- There are so many ways to use amla for hair loss. One such way is to drink amla juice which is a rich source of vitamin C.
- You can also apply amla oil for your hair.
- You can also eat some fresh pieces of amla fruit.
17. Fenugreek will build your hair
- Fenugreek seeds attack fungi and kill bacteria present on the hair. It powers your hair follicles and strengthens your hair. It also provides shiny silky hair.
- Making a fenugreek mask is a little bit risky. Fenugreek should be properly hydrated.
- It absorbs water until properly hydrating.
- Mix one tablespoon of fenugreek powder, 250 grams of water to make a paste and leave it for 12 hours. Add water time to time( during the period of 12 hours) and check whether it is properly hydrated. After hydrated, apply the paste to the hair.
18. Chinese hibiscus strengthens your roots
- Hibiscus can stimulate hair growth even from weakest hair follicles. It is a great herb that supports regrowth of hair.
- It helps in nourishing and beautifying hair.
- Both hibiscus flowers and leaves are good for your hair. Grind them together and make a paste. Add this paste into yoghurt and apply this to your hair as a mask.
19. Egg is useful for hair fall
- Egg helps in growing new hair. It also prevents damage to the hair like hair loss.
- It helps in making your soft and shiny.
- Blend olive oil with an egg. Apply the paste to the roots and ends of your hair.
- It provides roots with vitamins.
20.Henna improves your hair
- Henna nourishes your hair. It also helps in deep conditioning.
- It also reduces itchiness and fight with dandruff.
- Add black tea water in the henna powder. Leave it for soaking for 7 hours.
- Apply this paste throughout your hair.
21.Curry leaves has amazing benefits
- Curry leaves/neem leaves prevent premature graying of your hair.
- It contains a treasure of beta-carotenes and proteins. This helps in preventing hair fall.
- Boil fresh curry leaves with coconut oil. You will see a black residue forming. Stop heating at this point. Cool the mixture and apply to the scalp.
22.Apply onion juice to your hair
- Onion juice provide extra sulfur for strong thick hair. It prevents hair loss and promotes good hair growth.
- It is not a treatment tip but an hair growth tip.
- It has many side effects like strong odour and redness/itching.
- For curbing side effects, it is better to mix coconut oil with onion juice. Apply it to ends of your hair.
23. Garlic is a gift for your hair
- Garlic kills germs as it has anti-microbial properties and thus cleaning hair follicles.
- It is rich in Vitamin C. Vitamin C promotes hair growth.
- Make a paste of garlic together with honey. Apply this to the scalp and the ends of hair. This promotes ideal hair growth.
24.Ginger enhances scalp circulation
- Ginger stimulates hair follicles and improve circulation. Both of these enhances hair growth.
- Ginger contains fatty acids. These fatty acids helps in treating thin hair.
- Mix one teaspoon each of jojoba oil and ginger root. Use this mixture to massage your scalp.
25. Avocado is an all-rounder which may benefit your hair too
- Avocado is rich in vitamins B and E. It protects the scalp from damage. It makes your hair smooth.
- It also helps in providing long hair in females. It also treats dandruff.
- If you are planning to make a list of the benefits of Avocado, you are not going to end the list soon.
- Avocado is a bit costly but eating one avocado will grant you amazing benefits.
26. Almonds have amazing benefits
- Magnesium is an essential mineral required for your hair. Almonds contain magnesium which helps in strengthening hair.
- It also improves shine. It helps in making your roots stronger.
- Eat at least 12 almonds for improving your hair. If you are devoid of belly fat/ overweight, you can increase the amount to 23.
27. Pumpkin seeds work for your hair
- Pumpkin seeds contain zinc, magnesium, fatty acids, etc. which helps in hair growth.
- Enzyme 5-alpha-reductase converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT causes hair loss as we discussed earlier. But pumpkin seeds contain beta-sitosterol which inhibits this enzyme.
- Pumpkin seed oil supplement can be taken by mouth.
- You can also use a topical solution to apply to scalp.
28. Carrots are effective for hair growth
- Carrots are a source of vitamin A. This vitamin helps in sebum production which conditions the scalp.
- It also helps in making hair thicker.
- Carrot also contains may other vitamins like B6, B1, B2, B3, K, etc. which can help in hair loss problems.
- You can massage your hair with carrot oil. Spread the oil from roots to the ends of hair. You can also mix it with olive oil.
29.Salmons: mind-blowing boon for your hair
- Omega-3 fatty acids give hair lustre. Salmon is a fish which contains these fatty acids.
- It makes your strands strong, scalp moisturized and nourished.
- It also fights with inflammation, treats brittle hair etc.
- Try salmon once or twice a week for benefits.
This list is going to be updated soon to include more tips and resource pages.
Now a question for you:
Which of these tips you would use?
Comment the answer in comment box.
Have a great day ahead!